Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

On Sunday afternoon I was in a recipe experimenting mood. I have a great ground beef enchilada recipe that I love but I was craving chicken. I found a recipe and altered it quite a bit.

  {Source}

Ingredients

1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I grilled mine)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup picante sauce
3 oz. Fat Free cream cheese
1 tsp.  chili powder and 1 tsp Mrs Dash Southwest
8 (6-inch) la-tortilla factory whole wheat flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups Enchilada Sauce (I buy one big can)

1 can Rotel

1 small can diced jalapenos or green chilies (I like it hot! so I go for the Jalapenos)

1 can black beans -drained (I use the no sodium added kind)

Preheat over to 350 degrees

Sauté the onion in a large skillet with a small amount of Olive Oil

Add the chicken, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, picante sauce, cream cheese, chili powder, and Mrs Dash.

Stir constantly and cook until warm/cheese melts.

In the 9 x 13 Baking Dish (I use a cake pan), coat the bottom of the pan with a small amount of enchilada sauce (just enough to cover the bottom).

Fill each tortilla with about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture and roll up.

I was only able to fix 6 in my pan so I used a smaller glass baking dish to make a few more.

Cover the top of each pan with enchilada sauce and the remaining cheese.

Cook in the oven for 20 min.

Because I added the Rotel and black beans I had some left over mixture. It was great over brown rice.

1 comment: