Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Out with the diets ....

Diets aren't new to me. A lifestyle change is. I grew up watching my Mom eat peel a pound soup and grapefruits for a week. It was those observations that lead me to an unhealthy idea of diets and weight loss. Fortunately, my Mom was also the person who drug me with her to Weight Watchers the first time about 3 and a half years ago.

The first time on WWs: I wasn't committed fully; I stuck with it till I lost about 10 pounds then slowly went back to my old habits. As soon as I wasn't loosing I quit attending meetings and didn't go back.
The second time on WWs: Same is the first... a little bit louder and a whole lot worse. Ok in all seriousness, once again I wasn't fully committed. I was going through the motions but not making the lifestyle change.
The third time on WWs: December 2007, I was my highest weight ever 182 pounds. This time I drug my Mom to the meeting, I joined online and I started making positive changes. The first thing I did was rope a couple friends who were also not runners to run a 5k with me in May 2008. Second, I started sticking to the plan, I added activity, I tracked. I was beating the weight off of me!! Sometime in January my Mom quit attending meetings and I stuck with it. For the first time in my life I was motivated for myself. By about June 2008 I was down to 155 (10 pounds away from my goal weight)... I decided 'I know everything, I have learned it all, I can do this on my own.'

Boy was I wrong! By May of 2009 I had gained all but 8 pounds back.


Fourth time is the charm: In May 2009, I weighed 174, I rejoined Weight Watchers and.... I did just that I watched my weight... except I didn't add activity, and I kind of followed the plan when I wanted to ... it didn't work out to well. My weight was fluctuating from 168 to 174 depending on the couple week period I was in… but... I never quit.
Starting in January I have been On Plan!!! I started adding activity (I earned 32 AP's last week!!) I have been cutting out processed foods, lowering my sodium.

Guess what??? It is working... I weighed in at 171 January 15th. Last Friday ... 161.4.

That’s my journey so far... but stay tuned!! I am sure I have lots more to say!!

No comments:

Post a Comment